2-3 medium potatoes, peeled
1-2 tsp mustard oil
1 small shallot or 1/3rd small red onion, finely chopped
1 fresh green chili or 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
cilantro, finely chopped (optional, I add this for color)
salt to taste
1. Boil the potatoes in a pot of salted water until tender.
2. Remove potatoes from water, drain completely and let it cool.
3. Add mustard oil, chilies, onions, cilantro and salt into a mixing bowl and mash everything together with your hands.
4. Add the cooled potatoes to the mixing bowl and mash them (by hand or with a potato masher), making sure to mix well with the other ingredients.
5. Adjust salt and any other seasoning as desired and serve with rice, lentils and curries.
(Note: You can shape the “aloo bhorta” into little balls by hand as I did here or scoop it into a small bowl for a neat presentation.)