- Red lentils, 1 cup
- Sri Lankan curry powder, 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder, 0.5 tsp
- Cumin, 1tsp
- Chili powder, 0.5 tsp
- Tomato, 1 cup, chopped
- Ginger paste, 1 tsp
- Garlic paste, 1 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut milk, 2-3 tbsp
- Water, 2 cups
- Mustard seeds, 0.5 tsp
- Cumin seeds, 0.5 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds, 0.5 tsp
- Curry leaves, 1-2 sprigs
- Onions, 0.5 cup, chopped
- Vegetable or coconut oil, 2 tbsp
- Wash the and clean lentils and add them to a pot with water, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and all the powdered spices.
- Bring to a boil and add in coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasoning at this point and cook lentils further to a consistency you like (Sri Lankan lentil curry is typically cooked to a point where the lentils still retain their shape).
- In a separate pan, add oil and heat for a couple of mins.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and curry leaves to the pan when the oil is hot (should splutter when the seeds are added).
- Add onions to the pan and sauté for a few minutes or until onions are tender and translucent. (If you want your lentils to be spicy you could add in a chopped green chili or two at this point if you’d like.)
- Transfer tempered spices and onions from the pan into the pot of lentils. Check salt and spice levels and adjust as needed.
- Serve hot with rice.